Taking care of your parents as they age can be a challenge. You want to give them help without treating them like children. They need care and delicacy when it’s time to assist them with big decisions. Downsizing is one of the cases that is both a big task and tricky to maneuver.
Your parents may become anxious when making life changes, like moving to a smaller home. They have grown comfortable where they live and are overwhelmed with having to go through a lifetime of items and collected memories. There is help. Senior Crossroads of Sarasota and Bradenton have some suggestions to get you started:
- Discuss the issue. Explain why you feel it would be in their best interest and get an idea of what they are feeling and why. You can then address any fears they may have. Also, have some places ready to show them. If they can see where they will be moving to, it may help them feel more at ease.
- Discuss their freedom. Without stuff to hang onto and a small place to live, they will have more time to spend with family and doing the things they like to do.
- Start to go through their belongings and sort. What they want to keep, what they want to store and what can get donated. This will be a bigger job than you think.
- Discuss their lifestyle with them. It will make a difference in the items they choose to keep. If they like to cook, workout, or woodworking, keeping tools to do these things is important. Getting rid of old VCR workout tapes or DIY shows and replacing with streaming devices is a good option.
- Get the supplies you need in advance. Boxes, bags, and bins properly labeled will encourage you and your parents to work on separating items little by little.
- Ask questions such as; Do you use this item? What is the significance? When was the last time you used it? It will help them part with items a little easier.
- Consider professional help. Contact Senior Crossroads service and ask for advice. We have many resources available to cope with aging parents and downsizing. We are always happy to talk to you and offer some support.
Taking care of your aging parents is difficult, which is why we offer services in the Florida area that recognize the specific struggles that older adults face. We personalize our services to meet each patient’s needs.
Contact Senior Crossroads, and make downsizing your aging parent’s home much more comfortable for everyone involved.